The contact center industry consistently faces challenges hiring the right people to work as front line representatives and team leaders. Based on FurstPerson’s 2008 Call Center Hiring and Compensation survey, the average cost of turnover is $5,466. As a contact center operator and leader, how do you make sure that you are hiring the right people into your centers?
Eight steps can help your organization achieve a result driven contact center hiring process. The model below highlights six of these basic steps which are then supported by validating the model and proving the financial case.
- Understand and define the desired business outcomes
- Understand which performance metrics relate agent performance to achieving the desired business outcomes.
- Understand and define the job families
- Create a proactive recruiting and sourcing strategy
- Link the right predictive assessments for job candidate evaluation
- Validate the relationship between the hiring process and the business outcomes
- Use the same process for Team Leader hiring
- Rinse, repeat, and quantify for results improvement and financial payback
Step 1: Understand and define the desired business outcomesTo achieve great hiring results, hiring managers need to understand how the business drives revenue, margin, and profit. The goal of the hiring process is to hire employees who will perform their jobs in a manner that helps the business grow revenue, improve margin, and improve profit. Ultimately, financial improvement in the business determines whether the hiring process works or not. Being able to understand the business outcomes that leadership is driving and relate that back to the hiring process is a critical first step. Examples of business outcomes include:
- Does the business want to drive top line revenue?
- Does the business want to reduce operating costs?
- Does the business want to do both?
In our next post, we’ll discuss step 2: Understand which performance metrics relate agent performance to achieving the desired business outcomes.
Topics: Contact Center Hiring